RE: Tips on Getting Hired...Opinion #2501

Subject: RE: Tips on Getting Hired...Opinion #2501
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Greg Holmes" <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:58:57 -0700

Greg Holmes wrote:

> Interviewers have always seemed fascinated with my Navy
> experience - serving on a submarine, and a stint of shore
> duty writing nuclear repair procedures.
> Most have taken extra interview time to chat about it, even
> the "irrelevant" parts (which make the most interesting stories).

Greg is too modest when he assumes that interviewers ask about his Navy
experience because the job's unusual. I doubt that coal mining would
pique as much interest.

I think Melissa Nelson's observation regarding her work at a hospice /
Alzheimer's care center applies to Greg, too:

> It is definitely not exotic or out there,
> but interviewers find it interesting and I have had them say
> that it says a lot about my character.

Character. It matters a lot, and it can be hard to judge. Remember the
old joke? "Sincerity is important. Once you learn how to fake that,
you've got it made." In this era of useless references, how do you
decide who's got the character traits you want and who's just good at
faking it?

Interviewers may chat about the "interesting" parts, but I suspect their
eyes are first drawn to the hospice job and the military experience
because those roles suggest certain things about your character. Such
people are much more likely to be reliable, self-motivating, and
conscientious, to have some leadership skills, and to be eager to accept
responsibilities.

A job that says something about your character -- especially honorable
military service -- is always a good thing to have on your resume.

Oh, and thank you for your service, Greg.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer