RE: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: RE: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:58:05 -0800

The comment about 1982 reminds of one little faux pas I made a few years ago. I was getting back to work after some sort of hiatus, school or whatever. I sent my resume to a contact that I had worked with before so she had some familiarity with me. She called me and asked, "How long have you've been out of work?" "Oh just a few months." "Well your resume shows your last job as being three years ago." "I've worked since then. Read the resume to me." She read parts of the resume and I realized that it was one of the ones I had from earlier in my career that still showed some early administrative positions I had. I was a little confused and a little confusing. If I'm a technical writer, then why would I mention my vendor management skills? I tend to name my resumes with my name and I had apparently picked one from an archive folder rather than from my current resume folder. It's one thing when a resume goes back a few years, but it really should not go back a few careers. That old resume did include mentions of DOS and mainframe applications. Mmmm... DOS. And I can rebuild a Datsun.

Lauren