Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: "Suzanne R. O'Kelly" <french7suzi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:39:28 -0800 (PST)

Well, now, that is a completely different
conversation. And how often is everything equal? The
guy who had the great personality and handshake (10+
years steady tech writing experience and no management
title because he didn't want the hours). The
ex-programmer with a penchant for degrees (5 years as
a writer with a CS and an MIS degree). The mom
returning to FT office with a 12 year old home-based
tech writing business under her belt. All pleasant.
All qualified. Who would you hire? It would depend on
the job, wouldn't it?

Not really a no-brainer, in my opinion.

--- Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> If I followed this advice when I was 33 & with 10
> years experience, I would likely not have received
> some of the job offers I did.
>
> I can't think of any circumstance where it would
> benefit you to eliminate *relevant* experience from
> your resume or cover letter.
>
> And all things being equal, I'd much prefer to
> hire someone with 10+ years experience over someone
> with 6 years experience. For me, that would be a
> no-brainer.
>
> Edit your resume and tailor your info for a
> specific job or industry. Remove references to
> outdated tools and extraneous work. Make your resume
> tight & easy-to-read. And (if you fear ageism) then
> focus attention away from dates and years.
>
> But you can't expect to get the big(ger) money if
> you don't show 'em what you got.
>
> "Suzanne R. O'Kelly" <french7suzi -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> No one's resume needs to
> believe those of you who have been in this rat race
> for as long as you have don't know this. Why?
> Because
> you look old.

beta.