RE: Approach for user manual

Subject: RE: Approach for user manual
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:25:10 -0500

As far as I have understood, a task-based approach is more suitable for
applications like Microsoft Word, where the tasks the user has to do can be
described in their order of decreasing importance. On the other hand, a
screen-based approach would be more suitable for web applications, where the
user goes from one screen to the next in a logical sequence.

**************

No, you are not getting it. The output application has nothing to do with
the difference between "task based" and "screen based".

Based on tasks -- instruction -- how to accomplish a specific outcome (for
instance, enter a customer order). Muy importante in a User's Guide.

Based on screens -- reference -- screens used (mine are usually listed in
alphabetical order by unique title). Most likely found in a System
Specifications document.

One approach I've used successfully has been to include all screens in
alphabetical order as an appendix to the user's guide, complete with
detailed descriptions of each field and how it's used, with a smaller
picture (thumbnail) and reference (link) to the enlarged version with full
documentation at the point of reference. This keeps my User's Guide from
becoming too bloated and intimidating, but provides all needed information
even if the same screens are used for many tasks. In most cases the user
has the screen in front of them so they don't really need a full-page
illustration while they're looking up what do do with it now that they've
got it. My thumbnail does need to be large enough for them to be able to
confirm that they've got the right screen.

Bloating of the System Specifications is okay since those are sold by weight
anyway. <G>

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.