RE: Too weird a request? (Sample doc group budgets)

Subject: RE: Too weird a request? (Sample doc group budgets)
From: "Margaret Hassall" <Margaret -dot- Hassall -at- computershare -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:43:39 +1100

Our budgets are generated by the finance department and circulated for
approval, and no, we couldn't pass one on for viewing. I'd suggest you
ask your finance dept (or has the request come from them in the first
place?).

But our process is as follows (I manage a group of 5 tech writers):

I meet with Finance twice a year for the approval/review process.
Salaries are our biggest expense - I see the main figures but they work
out payroll taxes, medicare, superannuation, leave entitlements, and so
on. Salary increases happen once a year and it is a company wide issue.
Managers are given a percentage that they can increase. Special requests
for larger increases can be made then. If I want anyone in the team to
attend a conference, buy books, etc, I add it to my list in the budget.
Hardware is managed by the Infrastructure department, so they just go by
head counts and I don't have to worry. General software (operating
system, word processing, etc) is also handled by this dept. and
calculated on head counts. I have to request specific
software/licences/support costs (eg HATs, snagIT, etc) that are added to
the Infra. budget. Getting approval for extra staff has to happen well
before budget time, and is a separate issue, that ends up in the budget
review.

In a nutshell - salaries, specific software, training needs is what I
have to think about at budget time.

Cheers,
Margaret