Re: HTML editor

Subject: Re: HTML editor
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:06:45 -0800

I learned to do HTML before using a specific editor or tool. I was teaching myself so that I could work on HTML/Web internationalization, even before I became a tech writer. As a result, I never learned how to write in pre-4.0/pre-CSS HTML. Also, when I first became a tech writer I was always assigned the most "techie" tasks, including the management of accessibility for HTML.

So, I can say with some level of confidence that I write very clean, universal HTML and JavaScript code.

Nonetheless, I use Dreamweaver. Yes, as a SW engineer I have written tons of code in all sorts of tools starting with an IBM 026 keypunch. I quickly learned that these experiences make for nostalgic and incredibly boring stories (unless you were there) and little else. I don't know many SW engineers who still use punch cards, or paper tape, or DECWriters, or CICS Terminals, or edlin, or even EMACS. Give a SW engineer a good integrated development environment that he or she can extend (well, EMACS does qualify) and he or she will use it in a second.

If I need to, I can write good HTML in Notepad. I can even design good web sites in Notepad. I just think that Dreamweaver helps me focus more on the end result and less on remembering the attribute values for the <table> tag.

Joe

Al Geist wrote:

CSS files can be created in Notepad and will change those button colors for your depending on whether you're looking at it, hovering over it, have previously clicked it, etc. Best of all....CSS is free and there are a number of training sites out there that will help you get started.

Al