Re: Offer Letter Redux

Subject: Re: Offer Letter Redux
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:35:40 -0800

But where was the negotiation? It sounds as if they made you a "preliminary offer" and you took it. Or did you leave
something out?

BTW, the $1 over minimum for the next highest grade is a fairly standard practice. The next year's budget will usually be based on the midpoints of the grades of the current employees.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>

I was told that 'my preliminary offer - pending the final signature - was
going to be XXX number of dollars per month', and 'would that be okay?'.

Since I had my laptop up and running, I thanked them for making me an offer
while I quickly reviewed the salary tier. The salary that they were
tentatively offering was, interestingly enough, one dollar into the highest
tier. Not the maximum that they could have paid me, but a very good salary
and great benefits.

So I said yes, with a January 22nd start date.

So, for anyone else who applies for a government job, I guess that salary
negotiation is possible.