Re: Documenting the user interface--unnecessary features?

Subject: Re: Documenting the user interface--unnecessary features?
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:48:25 -0500

When we started doing task-based documentation rather than just documenting every feature, button, etc., the question usually came up "What if you document all the tasks and you still haven't covered every feature?". All you good techwriters know the answer to that, but the developers were shocked to learn that if every possible task has been documented and some UI items or features weren't mentioned, by golly then maybe they're redundant / unnecessary features! Those conversations were always a lot of fun -- for me, anyway. I'm with you, Gordon, I'd argue the case. If it's in the product, and it's something users need, it should be in the doc.

Gordon McLean wrote:

Well I guess in some instances it can be as much a culture decision as
anything. If you have a genuine need to document every single UI button,
widget and doo-dah, then do so.

However anywhere I've worked, I've been able to question WHY something was
in the product, so maybe that's a discussion to have with your manager.
Perhaps certain UI items have been left in rather then being removed because
it was easier for development? Who knows.

But, if your manager says it should be doc'd, then doc'd it'll be (I'd still
argue my case with him though.. but that's just me).

Gordon