RE: MS Word Question -- about templates

Subject: RE: MS Word Question -- about templates
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:22:39 -0000

> And when Management doesn't have someone on staff who can do
> this, and isn't
> willing to pay the designer bucks to bring in a consultant to do this,
> you're stuck.

Very true, and with Office 2007, it will become more so, as the new "Ribbon"
interface is designed *not* to be customisable except for adding a limited
number of buttons to the "Quick Access Toolbar". The ribbon itself can only
be customised by a developer.

> And believe me, engineers and systems analysts
> will find ways
> to circumvent the "rules" and they have almost no respect for the idea of
> format consistency.

This can be got round. They often appreciate having their lives made easier,
and a well-designed template can help this. There will sometimes be a hard
case who believes that as a is an expert on his subject he is also an expert
on everything else, including how to use Word.

That said, I more usually find business coming my way as a result of a
company needing new templates to implement a rebrand than from the company
wanting to improve the productivity of its office workers. Budgets are more
often available for rebranding!

Regards
Jonathan West