Re: RoboHelp?? Programs? etc.

Subject: Re: RoboHelp?? Programs? etc.
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:05 -0500

Karen,

You have a point. One of the things I also learned during my days in the Last Frontier was marketing. You can be the best writer in the world with an exceptional tool background, but if you don't market yourself correctly, the hiring authorities will never know that and you will never get the interview.

If you have the skills and experience, but the phone isn't ringing, then you might look at how you are presenting those skills and experience on your resume and in your cover letters. I started out as an electronic technician (when tubes were still the rage) and added a computer science minor during my college years, which happened after seven years of technical writing and after I left the field and moved to Alaska. Yet, when I returned to America, effective marketing of my combined hardware/software background and all my other experiences helped get me in the door at Tivoli Systems.

What resources do you offer beyond technical writing that will set you apart and get you that interview? I never documented microelectronics or storage area networks, yet I was able to get work in both areas after I returned from Alaska, where there are few technical writing jobs to begin with, because I related what I had done during my time in Alaska to what the hiring authority needed. (I write a damn good cover letter.) For example, my work as field producer for network coverage of a 1,000 mile sled dog race through the wilderness required project management skills, attention to detail, flexibility, excellent communication skills, and clear writing ability. My work as a volunteer road commissioner showed skills in negotiating, public relations, community service and public speaking. Other work highlighted my technical skills.
So, look at how you are marketing yourself, and don't forget non-paid volunteer work.

Al

kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

I have to disagree - at least somewhat. I've been looking hard for about 6 months. I have all the qualities Al describes. Despite that, I'm not getting many calls. Why? Because I don't have industry experience. I've a ton of good experience, but most of the jobs around here are either in software documentation or medical devices and I haven't done either.
Granted, the tools issue hasn't really come up, but it seems "just" being a really good tech writer isn't enough.
YMMV
-Karen

From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt