Re: USAGE: weight of code

Subject: Re: USAGE: weight of code
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Karen Hallman <hallmanedits -at- yahoo -dot- com>,<techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 7:58:31 -0500

Does the paper reference prior work by any of
Chung, F.R.K. Salehi, J.A. Wei, V.K.
or any other papers that might deal with
optical orthogonal codes or other fields within
statistics? If so, then the terminology is exact,
and needs no changes. Indeed, it admits none.

I merely googled for (no quotes)
code with length n and weight k
and noticed that it brought up a bunch of IEEE papers,
which I cannot view because I'm not an IEEE member.

If you are a member, or have a friend who is, then you
can read the papers that Google brings up. I suspect that
you have bumped into yet another case where mathematicians
have purloined perfectly good words and put them into
service as mathematical terminology. Mathematicians
regard the practise as poetry, or at least poetic
license. Editors are annoyed.