Re: Interviewing and Offers

Subject: Re: Interviewing and Offers
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:39:06 -0500

What legal documentation have you received on this job offer so far? A letter of offer, which you accepted in writing? IANAL but that constitutes a contract, and effectively takes you off the market for the time being. I have seen offer letters that say you would start as of a certain date. Nothing like that in yours? That would be the date you go on the payroll, so even if you're not physically in the office, they should be paying you as of that date. In the absence of a firm start date, can you get in touch with the supervisor you'll be working for? Just because the HR person is out doesn't mean everything at that company grinds to a halt. If you only have the "word" of the recruiting agency that they are hiring you, consider it to be wishful thinking until you have a firm agreement in place. I can see why you're nervous about this. Hope it works out.
--Beth

James Barrow wrote:

I received and accepted a job offer a few weeks ago. At that time the
recruiter said that the job *may* start after the New Year, but more likely
this week. That didn't happen and, as I was told yesterday, I wouldn't be
starting until possibly 1/8/06 since the HR rep at the client company
wouldn't return to work until then.

1. Does an HR rep being 'out' until 1/8/06 sound typical?
2. Should I continue marketing myself until I have an actual start date?

--
Beth Agnew
Catch the Buzz: http://bethbuzz.blogspot.com

Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u