Re: Thinking like a user, or sticking to tried and true?

Subject: Re: Thinking like a user, or sticking to tried and true?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:18:55 -0500

I've done some analysis in this area as well as development based on that analysis. In several startup companies we were faced with introducing new technology as one of the first companies into a new market space. As a result, no one knew anything about the application area let alone our application. Consider an analogy: in the 1930s the phone company was phasing out operators and allowing people to do direct dialing. They had to tell people what a dial tone was, what a ring sounded like, what a busy signal was. No one does this any more, but early on it's important. It was only a few years ago that GUIs were introduced and we were all asking how much documentation we would do on using a mouse (Click and hold down the left mouse button as you select the text ...").

Basically, I think Sharon is correct. Beginners don't stay beginners long. Intermediates form by far the largest user constituency. Experts really only want answers to fairly esoteric questions. In new technology situations, we provided some into material because we had to. We kept it short and focused on the 80/20 rule: we addressed the 20% of the application that people would use 80% of the time. We put almost all our effort into the intermediate area.

This manifested itself primarily in the level of detail we wrote. We didn't write a lot in those areas of interest primarily for beginners. We made sure we provided enough material for our target audience to "get" what they needed to use the application. We approached the task by looking closely at all the information that might be desired, and made sure we didn't write too much at too low (or high) a level so that we truly addressed the middle ground

In about 10 years of taking this approach, I can't recall a single complaint about too little or too much information, either from customers or internal users. And no one had to pick up the slack because we worked closely with the training people so they knew exactly what the documentation would and wouldn't cover, and they did a good job of hand holding for those folks that needed it at the beginning.

My 2¢,

John Garison

Sharon Burton wrote:

Given that time is a limited resource - we don't have all the time in the
world to create docs - wouldn't our effort be best spent on writing for that
intermediate group? That would mean that we can help the bulk of our users
with our limited resource.

My reasoning is:
* beginners - They are so new to the product or technology that we probably
can't help them in the docs. Perhaps they should attend a class of some
sort?
* intermediates - We can help these people in the docs and they are the bulk
of our users.
* experts - Experts will typically figure things out on their own and so we
can trust them to help themselves. We don't have to worry about them in the
docs.

At my employer, we have chosen to focus on the intermediate group, as that
gives us the most audience coverage for our efforts. We assume that users
are a bell curve and we can help users up to one standard deviation out in
the docs.

Have others thought about this to this level? If so, what decisions did you
make?