RE: ISTC

Subject: RE: ISTC
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:56:05 -0500

Anne Robotti wrote:

Why are people leaving STC? I was just thinking about joining. I was a
member years ago.

*************

I've also recently rejoined STC after an absence of several years (working
in another field). Not thinking of leaving, but was recently dismayed to
see what's become of my beloved STC Journal, now flaunting design awards but
completely unreadable in hard copy because it breaks every single rule for
good presentation of technical information (dense, light typeface,
reflective paper, etc.) -- and the editor's only reaction has been "gee, I'm
surprised to hear that you don't like it, it's winning design awards". He
wants me to dig up my old issues, scan pages I like, and compare them to the
new ones I don't like. I will, but not until my six thousand other projects
have stepped forward. Sigh.

I could live without the Journal, I guess, or make do with online content.

Still a good bunch of people, just went to the local chapter meeting last
night. Nice facilities, great prime rib buffet at an excellent (low) price.
Same old STC.

No barrier or notification that there's a one-foot drop in the floor level,
lights on a warm friendly low setting. Over the edge I went, right out of
my left shoe and onto my face.

Way to go with the networking, impress potential next bosses and coworkers
with your grace and charm why dontcha.

Thank goodness, I wasn't seriously hurt (bruises only). In my
self-introduction before the program began, I mentioned that in my spare
time I point out safety problems and levitate. Today I spoke with the party
house's owner and suggested a rope barrier to avoid future accidents, and
better training for his employees (who stood there like bumps and never
asked if I was all right or took my name or left a note for him), and he was
very receptive to my suggestions. He's sending a donation to the local
animal shelter as a tangible expression of apology (my suggestion in lieu of
flowers, didn't think fast enough to hit him up for a visit to the massage
therapist of my choice darn it). Good ending all around: I'll be okay,
safety hazard will be fixed before somebody with more brittle bones takes a
similar tumble, party house avoids lawsuit and is available when I want to
hold an event there.

I will attend more STC functions but will remain aware that they do not
scope facilities for safety hazards. Forewarned is fore-armed. I'll check
out ISTC.

And the cats get a donation.

You _knew_ I'd work cats into this, didn't you?

Dori Green