Re: OT? Vintage manuals

Subject: Re: OT? Vintage manuals
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:00:40 -0500

I still have the first manual I ever produced, too. Wrote it using IBM CScript - a formatting 'language' that lies at the deep dark heart of Bookmaker (and looked eerily like HTML except it used a leading dot instead of brackets i.e. ".b" was a blank line like <br>). This was 1974 or 75 ... I sent out birth announcements : "It's a Manual! 8 1/2 x 11, 3.5 pounds and a blue cover that matches Dad's eyes."

I got all sorts of 'stuff' about that.

My 2¢,

John G

Evans, Diane L (Rosetta) wrote:

Still have a couple of those manuals, produced on George and Irving the
typewriters with two different fonts. And those
manuals are still important pieces of my portfolio!

I also keep the first manual I wrote, for an in-house application using
the FOCUS database (1986).

I had a word processor -- an early IBM with 9" disks -- and could choose
from four or five fonts. For diagrams, I used pens and ink and rulers.
The first sentence was, "Turn on the computer with the switch on the
right-hand side." That single sentence has helped me get more than one
tech writing jobs since.