Re: Techwr-l Flashback

Subject: Re: Techwr-l Flashback
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:41:54 -0800

In my days as an engineer in silicon valley there was a similar
schism between engineers who worked for the big defense
companies and those who worked for the newer high-tech
firms. The high-tech engineers thought the defense firms were mired in paperwork and inflexible rules that stifled
innovation while the defense firms saw the high-tech firms as undisciplined, bouncing off the walls and making the
same mistakes over and over again as they repeatedly reinvinted the wheel. Both viewpoints were not utterly
without merit, and most of the companies that seemed to
me to represent the extremes of each are no longer in business. It seems to me that the key to success is to
recognize which direction you tend to prefer and to try
to stay out of companies that lean in the other. I probably
wouldn't last a month in one of those "we don't need no
stinkin processes, we're so nimble we can turn on a dime,"
companies, but then again, I don't think I'd want to spend a month in one.

Gene Kim-Eng