RE: Measurable objectives?

Subject: RE: Measurable objectives?
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:21:26 -0800

>Sarah Bouchier wrote:
>
>It's review time here at my workplace, and I have to come up with some
>objectives for myself. Ones that are Specific, Measurable,
Results->Oriented etc.

Hi Sarah,

I had this same problem a few years ago. Instead of 'creating the wheel', I
simply used the company's various statements of work as a template. I
populated an Excel spreadsheet with the following columns:

Goals
Conditions
Acceptance

Goals: (e.g.) Write chapters 1 through three of the User Guide.

Conditions: (e.g.) Developers must complete Login, Main Menu, and Profile
sections of application. QA must deliver sign-off for GUI.

Acceptance: (these were typically business metrics) "Rough draft completed
on dd/mm/yyyy. Conversion to online help dependent upon developers tagging
the code with the necessary markers."

I learned that this spreadsheet wasn't going to be strictly followed. It's
basically just a way for higher-ups to maintain a better perspective of
where things are, what progress is being made.

HTH, Jim