Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)

Subject: Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)
From: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>, "Etzel, Gary" <Gary -dot- Etzel -at- advanticagroup -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:22:02 -0800 (PST)

I don't think it's fair to imply that someone who posts infrequently is a less valued member of the list. And it's not accurate to equate the value of posts with the number of posts.

There are people who post frequently who I think give good advice and add to the quality of postings. I appreciate the time they devote to the list. There are other people who are less interesting but equally chatty.

It's because of this second type that there's been past discussion about limiting the number of posts one person can make. A list with a dozen people posting with great regularity is probably less useful than one where many people zero in & contribute their specialized info.

Instead of questioning the value of a lurker or infrequent poster - wouldn't it be better to try to create an environment where more people want to contribute?

Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:
This question arises because you are a lurker. Other than complaining
about inappropriate posts, I see about six posts from you, mostly
questions, not contributions to answers. You and many other lurkers have
occasionally come out of hiding to threaten leaving the list because of
one perceived trend or another. My question is this: Why should anyone
care?
http://mail.yahoo.com