RE: Interviewing Strategies

Subject: RE: Interviewing Strategies
From: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:55:43 -0000

>A manager I had many years ago would practice interviewing people -- on
>me. He would ask a rambling question, which I would attempt to clarify
>or otherwise zero in on.
>
>In his viewpoint, this was my failing to answer the question. When I
>would try to clear up what he was asking, he thought I was avoiding the
>question.

I wouldn't work for anyone who reacted like that to attempts to clarify.
I don't have time to waste finding out whether a manager who won't let
me get clarification is basically a good person anyway.

I wonder how many promising candidates he lost because they decided not
to work in the environment he seemed to promise?

Bottom line: remember +you're+ interviewing +them+ just as much as the
other way around. If the interview leads you to believe you're not
going to like working for them; don't :)

S.
Sarah Bouchier
Technical Author

exony