RE: How we define ourselves

Subject: RE: How we define ourselves
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:40:31 -0800

>Craig Cardimon wrote:
>
>I've had friends, family, neighbors, and acquaintances, come up to me and
>say, "So, you're a technical writer now, eh?"
>
>They will squint and cock their heads while they're looking at me. They're
>not quite sure what a technical writer does.
>
>However, when I nod and say, yes, I'm doing documentation (which is
>correct), they understand immediately.
>
>This must have been discussed previously around here, but I'm throwing my
>recent experience out there anyway.

I think it's great that you're throwing this out here. Just make sure you
clean it up when you're done :^)

I don't think I've ever told someone outside the IT industry that I'm a tech
writer without them looking at me as if they're new to the planet.

"You do wha..?"

If I'm working in the entertainment industry, they ask me what show I'm
writing for. If I'm working in the financial industry, they think that I'm
an underwriter.

Usually if I'm at a social gathering, and a couple's young child hears me
say 'technical writer', they immediately correct their parents.

"No, dad, he writes things like installation instructions. Do you remember
when you tried to set up my Xbox 360 and you completely messed it up and I
had to read the instruction manual? Jim probably wrote that".

- Jim