Re: Extensions and dots in filenames

Subject: Re: Extensions and dots in filenames
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:04:10 -0500

I have been around a long time (I worked for years before there were cathode ray tube monitors). While I can't claim to be an expert in all operating systems, as long as I can remember there's always been a dot between the filename and the filetype.

But anyone today who is worried about alienating the three people still alive who might remember the situation Peter is referring to will certainly not confuse the 99.99999999999% of the people who expect to see a dot before the file extension.

My 2¢,

John Garison

Peter Neilson wrote:

At one time (on some operating systems) there was no
dot and the filename was ABCDEF XYZ .

If my math is correct, you can fit nine characters taken
from the restricted set [0-9][A-Z] into 48 bits. That's
four 12-bit words on a PDP-8, or six 8-bit bytes on some
other machines. 36^9 is less than half of 2^48. Each
character, nominally six bits, was compressed into about
five-and-a-third bits. These kinds of bit-twiddled malarky
were once Very Important. Now all they do is to speak
volumes about the kind of person who would bother
remembering the stuff.