RE: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!

Subject: RE: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:09:54 -0500

Greg Sweet wrote:

60 mph in snowy/icy conditions? You don't happen to have 4 wheel drive do
you?
Perhapse you'd spend less time in the median waiting for a tow truck if you
just backed off the gas a bit?
;^)

***************

I personally deal with such conditions even more drastically -- by staying
off the main roads in such weather, much less the 4-lanes. I do wish that
some of the people spinning past me on those curves and hills at
deer-leaping dusk would remember that 55 is the speed _limit_, not the
required minimum, and 45 at such times is a perfectly reasonable speed.

Living in the country just 8 miles from the office does help. I drive a
Ranger XLT; the only thing "4" about it is the number of wheels and
cylinders. It gets me there but we admittedly don't have that many steep
hills here in the Lake Plains region, five miles from the Lake Ontario
southern shore.

My mother taught me about steering for the meridian when I was 16 and we
decided to try to outrun a hurricane back to Rochester NY from Charleston
SC. It caught and passed us -- we went up a hill in Virginia and everything
was clear, down the other side in DC with six-foot drifts and black ice.

Mom steered for the meridian instead of the looming forest. Which is how I
know about the fan belt being packed with snow. Mom was going maybe 40 when
she hit the ice; the cop estimated it was at least 60 when she went into the
drift and he gave her a $100 ticket for "excessive speed for conditions" at
the same time that he praised her skill and wisdom to choose the meridian.

I would _never_ drive that fast in bad conditions, cannot fathom why other
people do, and will probably some day feel somehow responsible for an
accident because somebody slammed into an oncoming car while they were
spinning past me on a curvy hill.

I was half an hour late for work in that freak storm we had in October
because I stopped six times to make sure that people who had slid into the
ditches on the back roads were okay. Never did get my fancy silver
emergency blanket back from that guy who had his cell phone so he could call
the tow truck, but no coat to keep him warm while he waited for it. Sigh.

Dori Green