Re: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!

Subject: Re: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!
From: "Bryan Sherman" <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Sandy Nicholson" <sandy -at- ambertext -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:19:01 -0500

Why do I have to keep re-learning that one must choose their words carefully
for an international audience... lol

My favorite communication story occurred around 1990. I was on a short-term
assignment in Japan for a company. Being a large US corporation, the
language in the office was English. I was working with a national, and we
were having difficulty understanding the situation. It was a complicated
situation.

When I finally understood what he was saying I exclaimed "Gotcha!" At which
point he looked very confused. I apologized, explained I was trying to be
good and not use slang, but that "gotcha" was short for "I got it" which is
slang for "I understand" at which point he started to laugh. Turns out that
in Nagoya (where he was from) there is a word that sounds dead-on to gotcha
that means broken glass and is slang for I don't understand...

So watch your slang... I won't even get started at some of the bizarre slang
stories that bridge the UK-US and US-Australia gap... :-)

On 12/3/06, Sandy Nicholson <sandy -at- ambertext -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

Bryan Sherman wrote:

>> ... When there was icy weather I would invariably pass a number of
>> vehicles in the median stuck.

Ed D' Souza asked the question that was on the tip of my tongue: what
is a `median stuck'? John Posada replied:

> A median is a divider between opposing traffic lanes, often a strip
> of grass or dirt.

Aha! That's what we in the UK would call a `central reservation'. Is
it traditional in the US when talking about a median to move the
nearest operative verb to the end (perhaps to confuse outsiders!), or
is Bryan actually a diminutive Jedi Knight? :o)

(The fact that I am responding to this post at all is indicative of
the fact that I am currently procrastinating!)

Oh, and what is the mean number of people, broken down by mode of
transport, who end up on the median at this time of year? :o)

Best wishes,
Sandy

Ambertext, 2/Gf Bruntsfield Crescent, Edinburgh EH10 4EZ, Scotland
+44 (0) 131 447 9257 http://www.ambertext.co.uk/ sandy -at- ambertext -dot- co -dot- uk
Sole proprietor: Alexander J Nicholson