re: [Word to PDF]: Bookmarks pane

Subject: re: [Word to PDF]: Bookmarks pane
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: Khizran Kaleem <khizran -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:32:57 +0200

Khizran,

You wrote:

> I have created a document in MS Word 2000 and converted to PDF using Adobe
> PDFMaker 5.0 for Word. I wanted the bookmarks to be displayed and for that I
> selected Bookmarks and Page radio button in Change Conversion Settings
> -> Display -> Document Open Options. Then when I converted the word document
> to pdf, it did display the bookmark pane in the pdf file only that all the
> bookmarks displayed were expanded. I want the bookmarks to be displayed in a
> collapsed form.

> I am not quite sure how to set this property. Can anyone please help?

If not handled automatically by the authoring application or the conversion to PDF:
expanding a specific branch and then using Save/Save As as will register that branch as being expanded, so it will become the default state upon opening the PDF.

Notes:

* Ctrl-clicking the [-] icon to the left of a bookmark will collapse all subordinate bookmarks (and likewise, Ctrl-cliking the [+] icon will expand all subordinate bookmarks).

* If you have to resort to collapsing bookmarks manually in Acrobat and need to do this repeatedly, there is a free plug-in that will collapse top-level bookmarks in one action:
http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=637.

* Even if a PDF file has security settings which do not allow any modifications, you can still "Save As", which does modify the bookmark setup as described above.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars