MS Word - Compare and Merge

Subject: MS Word - Compare and Merge
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Anthony <italian_scribbles -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:16:02 -0500

Anthony wondered: <<I am using MS Word's Compare and Merge feature to compare two versions of the same document at different stages of its development. Thus far it seems to be playing havoc with the order of the template's numbering.>>

I haven't used Word 2003, but I've heard no indication whatsoever that Microsoft has bothered to fix the autonumbering bug. Compare and Merge uses the revision tracking code, which is ordinarily a good thing, since that code is quite solid. However, at least in previous versions and probably in 2003 too, the revision tracking feature does not play well with autonumbering (or with automatic bullets in the List Bullet style); whenever you change text in the autonumbered paragraphs, and sometimes "near" them (in a way I haven't been able to define better than that), Word gets confused and screws up the numbering or bullets.

I'm not aware of any other adverse side-effects of this combination of features, but one thing I've learned about Word: expect the unexpected. That being said, this feature should not screw up any formatting unless you have dueling document formats: for example, if one version of the document is automatically set to update styles, and you manually edited a style, I can imagine this having annoying-- but not dire--consequences that would require you to undo the formatting changes.

But on the whole, it should be safe to use. You'll just have to fix the autonumbering problem.

www.geoff-hart.com