Re: Question of the Day

Subject: Re: Question of the Day
From: Sara Stewart <sara -at- sara-stewart -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:13:13 -0500

Ned Bedinger wrote:

Oh man, you're getting closer to the 'sensitive' issues

No kidding! If you revealed that you can do the work but need some sort of accomodation (accessibility, for example), then many employers will indeed pass you over.

Speaking as someone with a visible physical impairment which doesn't actually impede my ability to do my work, in my experience, employers will often pass you over even if you *look* like you might need some sort of accommodation, whether you do/will or not. They look at you and see dollar signs.

(At the AbilityFirst conference, the very real problem of overhead associated with hiring employees who require accommodations came up, and was countered with good reasons why hiring those employees makes good business sense anyway.)

Sara Stewart
long-time lurker, first-time poster

--
Sara Stewart Communications