Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:19:44 -0800

I apparently do the ooky face thing quite a bit, as I have been told
by a number of people that it is immediately apparent when I think
something is a really bad idea. As a manager, I *really* don't want
someone who's trying to tell me what I want to hear to get a job,
I prefer someone who responds immediately to an unplanned bad
"surprise" rather than smiling, saying "ok" and then I don't find out
until just before the deadline that the project was unachievable.
The candidate I ultimately choose will be the one who wants me
to know this.

Ultimately, I put my faith in the tried and true methods:

1. Talk to the candidates about all the issues that may come
up in the job, including the ones that make me tear my
little remaining hair out and hope they respond with the
same frankness about their experience and goals.

2. Talk to the candidate's past managers and/or co-workers.
The silicon valley tech writer community is sufficiently
well connected that if I feel the need I can start a string
of calls between friends and friends of friends that will
eventually connect me to someone who has worked with
a candidate before.

3. If all else fails, conduct the ultimate writer test, a paid
temporary contract to do a real project.

I think this method works well for me. In 15 years I have never
hired anyone I later wished I hadn't, and nobody I have hired has
ever quit on me.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>