Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: Gena Shurtleff <gena -at- originalgena -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:49:25 -0800

I've done a lot of interviewing of candidates, and I've been interviewed
a lot, too. I think the most effective interviews cover two basic areas:
* knowledge worker skills (writing, programming, and so forth)
* "people" skills

In the engineering world, we test knowledge worker skills with various
questions and "quizzes" that help us determine how a person thinks. In
engineering, as in writing, nobody will know all the answers to begin
with. What we have to do is see how the candidate approaches answering
the question. Do they ask good questions? Do they think logically? Are
they comfortable with confusion? How do they resolve confusion?

An hour writing test won't tell you much about a writer's innate
abilities. I think that I could teach just about anyone to follow
grammar rules, but I couldn't keep everyone sticking to good
organization and logical thinking. Similarly, I can't teach everyone how
to interview, ask questions, and manage information.

I recently took a couple of excellent writing "quizzes" from software
engineers at a company I was working at. They presented the bare outline
of a software system and then challenged me to ask *them* questions.
>From my questions and my knowledge of writing, I had to present them a
documentation plan. I think this the perfect way to test a writer's real
abilities.

For people skills, I use "behavioral" interviewing, a technique I
learned from a previous employer. I present a hypothetical situation
involving person-to-person interactions. I then ask the candidate to
tell me what he or she would do, or describe a similar real-life
situation he or she encountered and how he or she handled it.

Note that a "technical" quiz can also tell you a lot about a person. I
love technical interviews, and I get excited and intrigued by the
questions. The interviewer can see that. I am naturally that way, but I
make sure that the interviewer sees it. I want to portray myself as a
writer who is genuinely excited about the technology, and has enthusiasm
and motivation.

Joe