Re: Untraveling Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Untraveling Tech Writer
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:39:24 -0500

Out of the last 10 years of work, I have spent about 4 years full time (in
one year, two year, and six month increments) working from a home office. My
last two positions have allowed occasional work from home.

I must say I prefer it, but then I don't rely on work for my social life. I
am a working musician (evenings and weekends), so I have lots of musician
friends that I do things with. I am married now, but have done most of my
working from home when I was single. Either way, I don't get lonely, and
have more of a problem working too much than too little. It requires a lot
of self discipline and self-imposed structure to work from home full
time--but I am so much more productive, because I can manage interruptions
more easily than in the office.

The one thing I do when working from home that I don't do in the office, is,
I "go" to lunch, in the family room, and eat my lunch on a tray and watch
CNN or the Weather Channel. In the office, I usually eat at my desk and
work.

I don't wear a suit at home though :-) --Tshirt and shorts is it. No shoes.
:-)

On 11/9/06, Suzanne Chiles <suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

All this talk of the traveling tech writer sounds really interesting.

I, on the other hand, have become a NON-traveling tech writer. Starting
today, I am working from home 100% of the time. They issued me a laptop
and
I connect in with VPN. Considering my project is developed in St. Louis
and
managed in Florida, the fact that I'm in Oregon makes the telecommuting a
really practical thing. While I was sitting in the Portland Office, I had
call or email everyone I worked with and I can certainly do that quite
easily from home.

Other than curious cats, it's all going quite well. But I would be
interested to hear the experiences of others who are doing the same thing.

Suzanne
-
Suzanne Chiles
suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Di
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!