RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedural Info

Subject: RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedural Info
From: "Patterson, Jan" <Jan -dot- Patterson -at- esph -dot- com>
To: "Hickling, Lisa \(TOR\)" <lhickling -at- Express-Scripts -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:39:54 -0500

Okay, "Waddya say...throw a scribe a bone!" made me grin, and that's a
good thing.

The software products for which I currently write documentation are
fairly simple and straight forward. The user audiences are regular
working folks, probably not strongly computer literate -- know just
enough to get their jobs done.

For the documentation, some basic conceptual information is included in
preliminary paragraphs. The procedures themselves include just enough
information about the fields to answer most any question the end-user
may have when completing the fields. Cross-references are included, when
appropriate.

>From my perspective, the way information is handled depends on the type
and complexity of the product and the level of use and experience of the
user audiences. I've documented much more complex systems that required
a different approach than what I'm currently using. Hmmmmm, that boils
down to "it depends," but there it is. Hope the info helps.

jan.
jan e patterson
sr technical writer - environmental systems products - tucson, az