Re: Laptop specifications

Subject: Re: Laptop specifications
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: egalite <egalite -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:05:21 -0800

Noting that you bought a Dell...

I have had a Dell Inspiron 6000 for 18 months, and I am very pleased
with it. I have had no problems with it at all (knock on wood!) and
would buy another Dell in a heartbeat. Readers, you may want to consider
that Dell technical support is not the best in the world, but then whose is?

If you're in the market for a laptop, I suggest that you spend more now
to get the state-of-the-art features. You can't easily upgrade a
laptop's CPU, hard drive, CD drive, display, and so forth. If you are a
computer expert (or know one), don't buy RAM; instead, upgrade
afterwards. RAM is cheap.

State of the art would be dual-core, 512Mb to 1Gb RAM, 60GB or more hard
drive, 1.5 Ghz or more processor, 256Mb graphics "card", CD-RW/DVD
drive, four USB 2.0 ports, Firewire port, built-in Ethernet, and
built-in modem.

I suggest you buy built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, if you can afford it.
WiFi "g" and Bluetooth are now established standards and very useful.

You may also want to consider buying a laptop with both analog and DVI
monitor outputs. They are quite common now. If you have a digital camera
that uses SD cards, look for a laptop that has a SD "port".

Joe