RE: Question on Working With a New Documentation Supervisor - PleaseHelp

Subject: RE: Question on Working With a New Documentation Supervisor - PleaseHelp
From: "Rowena Hart" <RHart -at- ACDSystems -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:13:24 -0800

Hi Anthony, all,

Have you thought about sitting down and providing some feedback to him?
He may not realize how his behavior is being interpreted by others. For
example, he may have asked your previous supervisor about your work
schedule to confirm what he was seeing - i.e. shortened work day - with
good intentions, without realizing how his roundabout approach would be
interpreted by you.

It's critical to engage in open, professional, two-way feedback with
people when their work or leadership styles are the "opposite" of yours.
Try articulating your values to this director and identifying what you
need from him in terms of leadership. It's important for you to tell him
these things if he can't intuit them. Be specific about what he can do
to improve his relationship with you and to be a better leader. If the
original meeting goes well and he makes some changes, go ahead and
continue to provide constructive feedback to him.

Be prepared to receive feedback from your director as well. He may need
you to change some aspects of your work so he can be effective in his
job. If you aren't open to changing your work practices, don't expect
him to be open to changing his work practices.

As someone else suggested, document your interactions with this
director. If your attempts to build a better working relationship with
this director fail, then you should definitely consider working
elsewhere. We spend a huge part of our day at work so it's important to
be happy and fulfilled during those hours.

Cheers,

Rowena