Tools: Protect your cell phone

Subject: Tools: Protect your cell phone
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: CEL <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:51:32 -0500

Not really related to editing or technical communication, but I thought I'd pass this along given how many of us are early adopters of cool technologies such as smart cellphones.

The November 2006 issue of _Scientific American_ contains a moderately alarming article, "Malware goes mobile", about the exponentially increasing number of viruses, worms, trojans, and other nasties that are becoming distributed by and for cell phones. Some of these are just annoying battery-drainers; others can become expensive problems. As with computer malware, some of this stuff is remarkably clever about how it gets past our defenses.

Phones that use the Symbian operating system and phones being used in Europe currently seem most vulnerable, but that's only a short-term situation. You can protect yourself somewhat by turning off all Bluetooth features until you absolutely need them, then turn them off again asap when you're done. But real protection requires some form of antivirus software; the usual suspects are all selling this stuff. You can find a list of the main products currently available in the printed version of the article (available in most libraries) and the start of the article at the following link (or search the site based on the title):
http://sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=0005E65F- DAAB-152F-960883414B7F0123

www.geoff-hart.com