OT: Correction regarding deficit (was RE: Negotiating)

Subject: OT: Correction regarding deficit (was RE: Negotiating)
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:40:33 -0700

Al Geist wrote:

> everything. I don't
> like paying taxes, but with the national deficit growing
> by leaps and
> humongous bounds, rest assured that they (taxes) will be
> rising rather than
> falling (regardless of what any politician or political says).

In the interest of preventing the propagation of misinformation, I must
offer the following off-topic correction.

The deficit has dropped like a rock since the 2003 tax cuts. In the past
three years, tax receipts have soared by over 35%. The deficit has been
cut in half -- which the Bush administration promised to do by fiscal
2009 (its final budget) -- three years early.

If revenue goes up in the next 3 years by just 70% of the past 3 years'
rate, and if federal spending and economic growth are in line with
Congressional Budget Office projections, that 2009 final Bush budget
will show a surplus. That is, if we can keep Congress from enacting a
growth-killing tax increase.

Supply-side tax cuts are powerful things -- they can even work their
economy-stimulating and revenue-enhancing magic in the face of a war and
a sad lack of fiscal restraint. :-)

For details and links to sources, see this October 8 BizzyBlog post:
http://www.bizzyblog.com/2006/10/08/the-federal-budget-deficit-mission-a
ccomplished-perhaps-a-lot-more-to-come/

Richard

------