Re: Developer Documenation Example?

Subject: Re: Developer Documenation Example?
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: C Kwong <kwongcarolyn -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:51:44 -0800

VMWare (www.vmware.com) makes their developer documentation publicly
available.

Look within this link:

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/gsx_pubs.html

You can also find developer documentation at the Oracle Technology
Center. The Oracle Developer Tools documentation site is

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/devsuite.html

Developer documentation contains these broad areas:
* Conceptual overview of the product (what does it do? What is the
conceptual model?)
* Scenarios/examples/tutorial (How do I start? What are the basic steps?)
* Broad procedural guides (How do I write a GUI? How do I access files?
How do I do networking?)
* Reference (what is the syntax of the statements? What is the API?)
* Tools Reference (how do I use the compiler?)

Start with the fundamentals: who is the audience? what level of
technical expertise do they have? what level of domain expertise do they
have? where will they be accessing the documentation?

For example, if you are writing a developer's guide for a speech
application architecture, your audience will be software developers.
They have a lot of technical expertise, but they probably know very
little about speech user interfaces.

Developers often need to have the reference information at hand as they
work. You may need to have this information incorporated into the
integrated development environment (if you have one) as online help. You
almost certainly want it in an electronic form with a large index and
powerful search functions.

Good luck!

Joe