Re: documentation processes and management in your organizations?

Subject: Re: documentation processes and management in your organizations?
From: "peri jstar" <jstar99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:41:23 -0500

Oops, I also should maybe mention, it's a relatively small company. Around
100 people and I would probably say that many of the people in charge have
their own set ways of doing things so my ideas are going to have to be
somewhat simple with easy transition. The docs themselves range a great deal
in complexity.

On 10/27/06, peri jstar <jstar99 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Hello fellow tech writers, editors, collaborators, and web friends :)

Question for any and all of you. At my work I am trying to implement some
sort of loosely structured author/review/edit/approval process ("Loosely"
because I think my work is structured around their own milestones and is
probably very secondary to their own client-based projects which I generally
work around to accomodate).

Basically, I was hired as the sole technical writer for a company. They
have a wiki and Sharepoint sites with all sorts of documentation in every
nook and cranny (in every format too, .doc/.txt/.ppt/.html/etc.). There is
no level of lower management really above me and so in between editing other
miscellaneous docs, I basically go through their documentation sites and
reorganize and restructure the content for print and screen happiness.
However, I think it may fall to me to establish any sort of
creation/review/edit/approval process. My work also includes doc. design. so
I've already wrestled the basic style/numbering/images/etc. issues and
sometimes with this great forum's (meaning all of you of course) help ;) In
addition, the content I've put together in Word is supposed to make it's way
eventually into help files as well.

So currently I am wondering about how your organizations usually go about
it. The process I mean... Any info or websites or general
advice/descriptions from experience and etc. would be greatly welcomed. I am
attempting to try to pitch some ideas to my upper management about this, as
well as probably ask for a separate Sharepoint site, but I'd like to have
some good facts and thoughts put together so that I can be most
straightforward about my ideas. This is my first technical writing job and
so therefore I'm sure there are loads of situations/unintended consequences,
etc. that I have yet to think of!

Your input/feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much all!