Re: Portfolios and examples

Subject: Re: Portfolios and examples
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: Sharon Smithe <slsmithe -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:42:01 -0400

Sharon Smithe wrote:

I'm working on updating my portfolio. Right now I've got about 20
examples in there, but I think that may be too much and will probably
pare it down. Most of them are hardware and software documents that
I've worked on over the past ten years, but some of them look so
archaic compared to the more modern guides that I don't feel they show
well anymore, so they will probably be the first to go.

My portfolio depends on the job I'm interviewing for, and I never take more than six documents at the most (and I only take that many if most of them are smaller one-to-four pager publications). Each document is different, but the all support the task I am applying for and all are selected to show that I have experience with the subject (or something similar).

Ten year old documents can be spiffed up with an explanation that it was an older document (that is in the subject area) that you made current using such-and-such a tool. This shows your experience with the subject and your ability to use current tools. (I have nearly 30 years of "stuff" to choose from and I have used 25 year old documents that were converted to FrameMaker to show experience with communication hardware and current documentation programs.)

I bring a nice three-ring binder with my samples, so reviewers can quickly flip through them. I have a cover that highlights my skills (relevant to the position) and gives my contact info (although I never leave my portfolio). I also have my name, etc., on a printed piece that slides in the spine. This allows me to change the cover and spine and tailor everything for each interview. Reviewers don't want to read what you've done as much as see that you've done something. I only put complete manuals in the portfolio if they are small; otherwise, I choose sections that relate to the job I am applying for.

When you create your portfolio, think MARKETING. I know some people on this list have a hard time with that word, but you are selling yourself to a potential employer. A key to success in sales is to show versus tell. Show the potential employer that you either have done the work before, or you have experience in that area.

Hope that helps...

AL

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt