Release notes and DITA

Subject: Release notes and DITA
From: Sandy Nicholson <sandy -at- ambertext -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:23:50 +0100

Following on from the recent discussion on release notes and readme files, I thought I'd ask a supplementary question.

To give some background: at my former employer (now one of my clients), I introduced a single-sourced documentation system based on DITA-like topics. (This was back in 2000 or 2001, when I'd only just come across DITA, so I didn't think it worth committing to DITA lock, stock and barrel at the time.) The system was used for all online help as well as the main printed user manuals. One thing it wasn't used for was release notes, which were assembled as one-off documents.

Do any DITA users on the list have experience of using DITA (or a similar architecture) to produce release notes? If so, what do they see as the benefits? Do they find opportunities for topic reuse? Any other comments?

Best wishes,
Sandy

Ambertext, 2/Gf Bruntsfield Crescent, Edinburgh EH10 4EZ, Scotland
+44 (0) 131 447 9257 http://www.ambertext.co.uk/ sandy -at- ambertext -dot- co -dot- uk
Sole proprietor: Alexander J Nicholson