Re: About that stupid monkey (was: So just do it already

Subject: Re: About that stupid monkey (was: So just do it already
From: "Bryan Sherman" <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:32:42 -0400

It's in a sig line.
It's in a sig line of messages that are pertinent to the thread they are a
part of.

How on earth is this a parallel to spam. It's one little line after the
signature of the poster. If you don't want to bite, don't.

IF Sean was posted constantly to the site with a little of valueless
postings to get his sig out there, then maybe you could call it an exact
parallelism to spam. IMHO it isn't even close.

He has even had the opportunity to tell everyone on the list about the crazy
monkey in one swell foop (as an old prof used to say) and hasn't. I know I
asked, as part of message to the group, and never heard back, but i assumed
that was because I didn't ask Sean in a personal message, but rather in a
message to the whole list.

Bryan.... 100% imho... :-)
- Steven Wright

On 10/20/06, mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

Guy K. Haas [mailto:guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com]

> But, when EVERY message from someone on a high-traffic list
> includes the
> same "hook," it gets tiresome.
>
> Having that "hook" in one's SIG for regular mail is one
> thing. Having it
> on one's website landing page, fine. But every blasted posting?

It's an exact parallel with spam.

There's no cost to the perp to send it to everybody (and their little dog
Too). All it takes is one or two gullible sorts to nibble, and the spammer
is rewarded and keeps doing it.