Re: Release notes and readme files

Subject: Re: Release notes and readme files
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:15:05 -0400

I'm very much against providing a lengthy list of bug fixes to users. I think it really affects credibility of the product. A new purchaser of the system is not going to want to know that 40 bugs have been fixed. Deep down, sure, they want to know that you are always making the product better, but being reminded that there have been so many fixes to the latest version begs the question, How many bugs /didn't/ you find and fix yet? I think it's poor customer service. However, there are technical people who may want to know that certain bugs have been dealt with. This can be done very easily via a blind webpage for which you provide the link in the readme file or release notes. Then only those who have the need to know will bother looking it up.

Some organizations track user bugs by giving the user a bug number to refer to. The users affected would want to know that their bug has been addressed. This should more properly be done in individual communication or by referral to a webpage as mentioned above, not by including it in a long list. I have used this approach with customized software. End users don't normally read readme files, so if you really want to include the bugs fixed list, that would be the place for it.

Release notes should be written to inform the user of improvements and enhancements. I prefer to call bug fixes "improvements" when I'm writing release notes or talking to users. They might have recognized a particular problem, and be very glad that we've addressed it, but being reminded that it's a "bug" is not the best approach from a marketing standpoint. Don't forget that we do have a role in helping our companies be successful in the marketplace, so we should be mindful of how we are presenting things to the users and buyers of our products.

I have an example release notes document if anyone wants it, just e-mail me offlist.
--Beth

egalite wrote:

Hello fellow techwhirlians...

I've tried googling, and have read the 4 pages in the Microsoft style guide,
but information appears to be sparse. Is anyone aware of a best practice guide on how to write release notes or
readme files? What's the real difference between them anyway? The MS example
kind of lost me.
My PM wants to produce release notes that basically contains a list of all
bug fixes. I'm not sure how useful this would be to an end-user, especially
if the product's not an off-the-shelf one (although it might be in future).
Also, any thoughts on providing the readme in a format other than text?
We're considering supplying it in PDF.

Thanks,
Trish :)

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/beth.agnew%40senecac.on.ca

Beth Agnew
Catch the Buzz: http://bethbuzz.blogspot.com
STC Presentation archived at:
http://www.301url.com/podcasting

Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u