Re: HAT advice - convert WinHelp to HTML Help

Subject: Re: HAT advice - convert WinHelp to HTML Help
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:18:38 -0600

I chose Doc-to-Help for all the reasons you stated below, and I've
been quite happy with it. This past year I hired someone to take on
most of my help development responsibilities. She had never written
a help file before (but she did know our products inside and out). I
sat with her a couple of hours talking about the parts and pieces of
a help file, context sensitivity, etc., and gave her a copy of Doc-to-
Help. Within a few days she had converted the existing HLP file (the
conversion actually took only minutes) and had added all the new
functionality for an upcoming product release.

I also evaluated Help & Manual, which did a good job with the
conversion as well. Either of these tools can convert from your HLP
source files or the HLP itself. RoboHelp and AuthorIt also have
conversion utilities.

Dana W.

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Jessica N Lange wrote:

> - ability to import all the existing topics (Word files
> or .hlp). It's a big, modular help system for three
> different products.
>
> - a good conversion from WinHelp to whatever (HTML, XML).
> Don't want to have to redo all the build tags or rename
> all the images.
>
> - a vendor that is currently in business and still updating
> their product for future technologies like Vista.
>
> - a reasonable cost. The help file only requires minor
> changes a few times a year.
>
> - Oh, and an easy learning curve would be nice. I do more
> software testing and web work these days than help authoring;
> I'd rather not spend half my time figuring out how to use
> the tool merely to add a paragraph.
>
> Before I start installing trial versions and testing, I'd
> welcome the advice of anyone with experience in converting
> WinHelp to HTML Help.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Jessica

Dana Worley