FrameMaker: Index Headers Problem

Subject: FrameMaker: Index Headers Problem
From: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:32:22 -0500

Hello everyone!

I'm posting this question on behalf of a colleague who is not on the
list. She would appreciate any help you can give.

Keith
******************************
HER FRAMEMAKER QUESTION:

For the headers in my index, I'd like to show the alphabetic letter
range of the index entries on each page.
For example: A-A, A-C, C-D, D-D

I'm currently using a Running H/F variable that refers to the paragraph
tag for the Group Titles:

<$paratext[GroupTitlesIX]> - <$paratext[+,GroupTitlesIX]>

But this doesn't really work correctly.

If a page has no Group Title, but is a continuation from the previous
page, then it works. FrameMaker doesn't find a Group Title on the page,
so it searches backwards for the most recent. And I get the correct
results.

But, if a page does have one or more Group Titles, I only get the
correct results if a Group Title is the very FIRST entry at the top of
the page. If there are any index entries that begin with the letter of
the Group Title on the previous page, the header does not recognize
those entries.

If 3/4 of my page is index entries starting with "B," and 1/4 of my page
is entries starting with "C," my header says: C-C.

I understand why this happening. With this variable, FrameMaker searches
for the first match on the page. In my example above, that's the letter
C. Even though I have lots of "B" entries on the page. It doesn't matter
if there are index entries before the first Group Title.

Is there something else I can do to produce the results I'm looking for?