Re: Framemaker questions

Subject: Re: Framemaker questions
From: beverly_robinson -at- datacard -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:21:34 -0500

Suchitra Gautam asked about macros for FrameMaker and Fred Ridder replied
that macros are possible using FrameScript.

I don't disagree with Fred, but feel the need to add a cautionary note:
FrameScript is not as easy to use as the Word macro-creation utility.

Many years ago I was able to develop some fairly sophisticated Word macros
using VBA (or whatever it was called before it was called VBA). Then I
spent 7 years in night school getting a 2-year C Programming diploma. Then
I decided I needed to write a FrameScript script for one of my projects,
but was unable to make any progress using only the documentation that came
with the product. It was only after ordering Rick Quatro's excellent
package "FrameScript: A Crash Course" that all the pieces came together for
me.

One could argue that taking 7 years to earn a 2-year programming diploma
indicates that I'm not a natural-born programmer. But that's exactly my
point: FrameScript requires some programming skill.

Beverly Robinson
Sr. Technical Writer

My employer wants me to make it clear that the opinions stated are mine
alone.

NOTICE ? This message and any attachment(s) are for authorized use by the intended recipient(s) only and may contain privileged or confidential information. Unless you are an intended recipient, you may not use, copy, retain, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message and any attachment(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please immediately contact the sender and delete this message and any attachment(s).