Re: Dialogs

Subject: Re: Dialogs
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Beth Sargent" <beth -dot- sargent -at- syncvoice -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:45:10 -0400

On 10/11/06, Beth Sargent <beth -dot- sargent -at- syncvoice -dot- com> wrote:

Is the term dialog or dialog boxes only used when referring to a thick
client application or operating system? If so, in a web (thin client)
based
application is it appropriate to use page or window?

I've been dealing with this question, myself. With an AJAX-based
application, with real dialog boxes that act just like a thick client, I
call them dialog boxes. The part that is static in the browser window that
doesn't change unless changing modes, I call a page. For the portions of the
browser window that are static, but are only a portion of the screen (like a
tab), I call panels.

Of course, this is just my own contrived nomenclature. Sometimes, I have to
ponder whether something is a panel or a screen. What is most important is
that you use generally-accepted terms, and that you use them as consistently
as possible. Deciding to call something a panel or a screen or a page is not
going to be much of a stumbling block to someone reading your doc, as long
as you ALWAYS call it a panel or a screen or a page.

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com