FW: MS Word File Size Limitation

Subject: FW: MS Word File Size Limitation
From: "Harris, Michael" <Michael -dot- Harris -at- innocon -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:46:43 -0400

This response is slightly modified from what I sent directly to
Jonathan. I have used MS Word to do technical writing since about
Windows 3.1, so I have experienced much aggravation with it. I have
also used WordPerfect 5.1, FrameMaker in the early 90s, and versions of
Interleaf. I don't recall the tech writing system we used at Lockheed
Missiles and Space Company in Sunnyvale, California, which was
pre-windows or even pre-PC. But most of my employers have insisted on
using Word as THE technical writing application. When MS Word is all
you have, Word is what you learn to use.

I am not a degreed technical writer, and have an Associates Degree in
Electronics from 1984. I am now taking classes to get my Bachelors
Degree in Business Management, but most of what I learn comes from the
school of 'Hard Knocks and Word Crashes'. So, take the following
write-up for what it is - words of experience.

Michael

Now, I am very much in favor of using master documents in Word. Not
being an IT guy, simply put, the greatest limitation I have found in
managing large document sets is the amount of available RAM. It wasn't
always easy to get it to work, and I still have some minor challenges,
but I can say that MS Word Master Document functionality can be used
effectively.