RE: Skills vs educaton (was: Senior technical writer?)

Subject: RE: Skills vs educaton (was: Senior technical writer?)
From: "England, Peter" <peter -dot- england -at- ttu -dot- edu>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:44:53 -0500

Surely we can all agree that a writer's abilities and work ethic are far
more important than a diploma, as is the case with so many professions.
But I do want to ask a couple of questions:

1. We've recently seen a great deal of traffic on this list about
respect. Wouldn't a diploma and perhaps a nationwide certification
process add to that respect? I'm thinking along the lines of the legal
profession--attending school and then taking the bar exam. The reason
for the comparison is that attorneys often do the same sorts of things
we do: make information and documentation processes available to the
lay public.

2. We've also seen traffic on the definition/perception of what a TW
does, or can do. It seems to me that a formalized education, with its
accompanying advantages and disadvantages, increases the opportunity for
visibility. If the TW degrees get out of the English departments and
into, say, the Business and Engineering colleges then maybe we'll have
more awareness of our field. With that might come the opportunity for
increased pay and a decrease in the necessity of having to justify our
existence.

So both of these wind up having to do with respect. Anyhow, I'd be
interested in hearing some thoughts on the subject. You can tell by my
sig that I'm heavily interested in academics, but I'm also interested in
closing the distance between the classroom and the cubicle.

All the best, y'all.

Pete

Peter England
Doctoral Student