Broken cross-references in PDFs

Subject: Broken cross-references in PDFs
From: "C L" <cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:15:48 -0400 (EDT)

After reading recent e-mails from Donna Jones, Shlomo Perets, and Fred
Ridder, I attempted to fix the numerous broken cross-references in a
PDF, to no avail.

Environment:

FrameMaker 7.0, p578

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional

FrameMaker File Information:

QS_InstallConfigUseSSOP.fm is the primary file. The file uses 10
conditional tags (to generate 10 PDFs, one per vendor platform).

The primary file contains 7 text insets, including one called
"InstallingTWAINDriver.fm".

InstallingTWAINDriver.fm uses 5 conditional tags (one for each vendor
using TWAIN drivers).

For the Sharp version of the book, I set the conditions in this file
to show the "twainSharp" and "STESharp" condition tags.

A sentence in InstallingTWAINDriver.fm, which is a conditionalized
text inset, contains a cross-reference to a procedure in the same
file, on the next page.

PDF Generation Information:

I print to a PS file and then run Distiller.

Problem:

The PDF does not contain a link for the cross-reference I've described
(along with many others). (I've been troubleshooting the problem using
the primary file and the text inset file rather than generating a PDF
for the entire book each time.)

What I've Done, and Still No Link in the PDF (:

Removed the target cross-reference in the text inset file, updated the
text inset in the primary file, updated the cross-references, and then
generated the PS file.

Kept the primary file and the text inset file open when generating the
PS file.

Selected the Named Destinations check box.

"Showed All" conditions in the text inset file.

Select a different cross-reference format.

In Shlomo's posting of 9/7/2006, he said: "If the expected link is
simply not present in the PDF (but other links/bookmarks do exist),
this has to do with the cross-reference being part of a text
inset." What's not clear to me from this posting is whether it's
impossible to create working links when a cross-reference is part of a
text inset.

All help will be appreciated, as always

Carol