RE: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)

Subject: RE: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:15:10 -0600

Karen L. Zorn wrote:

> Here's another thought. Richard mentioned DICE, so I'm
> assuming he's looking at jobs posted on that board. If he is
> trying to land a job that is out of his local "territory,"
> there may be no traditional per diem attached to it.

There's almost certainly no "traditional" per diem attached. That's what
I meant earlier with the scenario where Richard was told, "...we're not
so eager to hire you specifically that we'll pay more than someone who's
local."

Neither the employer nor the agency cares one whit that your
compensation needs are greater than a local person's (and they
shouldn't). Unless you have something -- skills, reputation, secret
sauce -- that they badly want and can't find locally, they're not going
to pay more just because you have additional expenses.

I doubt that the agency would up the hourly rate or cut its margin,
either. I think all it's offering to do is recharacterize a portion of
the wages as expense reimbursement, which provides significant tax
advantages.

Unless you specifically are in high demand (e.g., you're JoAnn Hackos),
I suspect there are only a few situations in which someone will pay
extra to get you to travel to them: (1) It's a government contract, and
there's plenty of money, courtesy of the taxpayers; (2) It's in East
Podunk, Alaska, from Nov. through April, and there's not a soul
qualified to do the work within a thousand miles.

YMMV -- but may not be reimbursed ;-)

RIchard

------
Richard G. Combs