RE: Senior technical writer?

Subject: RE: Senior technical writer?
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>, "Ronald Schwarz" <RSchwarz -at- cosmocom -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:18:36 -0700

Well, the case I was citing specifically, the writer did * not * have
the relevant experience but was promoted anyway. It happens. Often.

I didn't think formal education in TW was necessary to qualify a person
to be a senior tech writer until I got the formal education myself, with
a certificate from the University of Washington. I had many years of
tech writing experience and consistently produced what I felt was
top-notch content. I took the course to "certify" myself, thinking that
alone would help move my career forward. However, what I got was much
more. I learned terminology, usability concepts and practices, refreshed
my grammar and writing skills, learned techniques about page layout and
design, learned the lingo and process of publishing documents, and
generally rounded out and refined my knowledge base. I think that, with
my extensive experience, has qualified me to be not only a senior
technical writer, but a documentation manager as well.

This is my experience and view. Other people's views may vary.

Claire