Re: Hiring Discrimination

Subject: Re: Hiring Discrimination
From: "Elaine Garnet" <2egarnet -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:19:45 -0400

Ha. Ha. That's me laughing.

There are provinces up here with reproductive rates below replacement levels. For the betterment of their society, they have initiated policies to encourage families to have more children. However, where I live, there are plenty of babies and some women have taken maternity leave only to return and find that their jobs are no longer available. The company shunts them to another job because legally the women can't be fired. It seems to me that women are discriminated against during their child bearing years because they risk career advancement by giving birth. A friend of mine undergoing fertility treatments and requiring days off for trips to the hospital was asked by her manager, "How long are you going to keep trying?"

Since I am old and tired, I am now giving up the argument. Toodles.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Hood" <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>